NOTE: The dates on the post were changed to keep the pictures in chronological order
Last updated: April 10, 2006
Summary: We took the car and transfered it from Stryker, OH to Edgerton, OH. Once we got to edgerton we jack the car up and evalutated the situation under the car. We began by cutting out holes in the trunk to where we would mount the box steel sleeves for our hydraulic cylinders. We made brackets that would fit near the holes in the top of the trunk and the bottom of the unibody frame. We then used threaded steel rod to sandwich our brackets between the frame, giving us a solid mounting point for our box steel sleeve. This also reinforced the frame. By the end of the weekend we accomplished on both sides cutting two holes in the trunk, reinforcing the frame, and tack welded the outside box steel sleeve in place.
Moving the car from Stryker, OH to the Al's work garage(Edgerton).
On the trailer ready to go.
Parked in the ol' Toyota to get the project going.
Taking a look under the trunk to see what we have to work with.
Finally realizing this won't be as easy as planned.
Cutting the first hole.
Cutting brackets to length.
Finishing up the brackets.
Cutting some steel rod used to sandwich brackets together.
Brackets installed and mocking up the outside steel sleeve.
Bottom bracket sandwiched between the unibody frame.
Bracket installed and steel sleeve tack welded into place.
Al in uniform.
Our only foul up so far. A piece of metal that was rescently torched off a bracket was laying on the ground and then an extension cord happened to place itself on the hot scrap steel. POP!! It blew a breaker and we all had a chuckle. The cord is currently tied in a knot in a corner where it will probably never get fixed... ;)